Monday, August 10, 2015

Happy kids vs gender labels

So this whole "gender specific toys" thing seems to really be a big deal for some people. I don't really get it, but whatever. Some people complain that stores have gender suggestions on toys (whatever, does it matter? I will buy my daughter a toy she wants whether the store labels it as boy or girl). Now the stores are removing those gender labels and the other side is outraged. Really? Is a gender label on a toy really that big of a deal to you? Does it really affect your life that much? All in all I find the whole situation a little ridiculous.

I have never been one to buy a boy labeled toy for my son just because it was for a boy, and same for my daughter. That being said, I never got outraged that the toys were labeled. I just buy what my kids like. For the most part that does mean ponies, princesses, and barbies for my daughter; cars, trucks, dinosaurs, and trains for my son. Those are just their interests, but my son also likes to play ponies and dress up sometimes, and my daughter likes to play super heroes and cars sometimes too. I will continue to buy them the thinks that they like whether the store has them gender labeled or not, it really doesn't affect my buying habits or my life at all. We have a house full of "boy" and "girl" toys and both kids play with them about the same amount.

I don't force girl toys on my daughter just like I don't force boy toys on my son. I also don't freak out if my son wants to play with a doll, just like I don't freak out if my daughter wants to be Captain America. My kids are happy and enjoy all the toys in our house. My daughter doesn't need a gun to be pink for her to like it. My son doesn't need something to have wheels for him to enjoy it.

I don't really understand why people have to make a big huge fuss about tiny little things like this. Why must we turn everything into some huge political thing? I really don't think toy aisles are political at all, whether they have gender labels on toys or not. We should worry less about labels, and what toys our kids "should" be playing with and worry more about what things make them happy. If wearing a pink crown makes my toddler boy happy, he can wear a pink crown. If playing with cars makes my daughter happy, she can play with cars. If my kids want to play in the dirt, they can play in the dirt. Happy kids is the most important thing, so let's leave politics out of the toy aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment