Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Activities for high energy kids

Every morning my kids beg to go to the park (usually when I am in the middle of cleaning something, like a bathroom). Then, when we finally get to the park, they don't want to play (really kids?). This usually happens when they aren't other kids at the park to play with (and unfortunately I can't control when other kids are at the park, we pretty much have a set park time). Sophie just wants to sit on the bench and talk my ear off (which she also does all day at home), and Bret just wants to sit in the dirt and get ridiculously dirty. 

By the time we leave the park they are usually WAY too dirty, and haven't used up near enough energy, which causes problems for me. Our routine is park for an hour-hour and a halfish, then lunch and naps. When they don't use up enough energy nap time is nightmare, I usually use nap time to finish up cleaning, get some "me" time, or catch up on sleep. That is usually the first chance I get to shower as well, so them being difficult about it is just a pain in the rear end. 
Today we did something a little differently. When we got to the park and both kids refused to actually play (Bret went right to the dirt and Sophie just sat down and said she wanted to "take a break" even though she hadn't done anything), I decided to make a little "game" out of being active. We have done this on one other occasion and I don't know why I haven't done it more. The kids love when we make "games" out of things. 
The game usually starts by me saying "show me how fast you can run", then the kids both run all the way across the playground and back. When they get back they automatically ask "what's next!?!?" We did this back and forth for an hour today and they definitely spent a ton of energy. They were both exhausted walking home and during lunch, and the best part...no fight over taking naps. Here is an idea of the activities that we did:
This is also something you could do at home on a rainy to have them burn off some energy (some are not apartment friendly, but things like dancing, be a bird, flap your arms, arm circles, and such are good anywhere). I like to add in things like 3 times, 4 times, and so on so that they have to count them out. Bret is a very high energy kid and if he doesn't burn enough energy he is awful, I recently read an article about how physical activity is great for treating ADHD and how getting physical activity throughout the day really helps kids focus. While Bret is a little too young for a diagnosis, I really won't be surprised when one day a teacher or doctor tells me he has it (we have a family history and he really does show some signs). 
Here is a link to the article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/exercise-seems-to-be-beneficial-to-children/380844/. It's really good information whether your child has ADHD or not. I am so happy one of my FB friends shared it on her timeline, or I never would have seen it. Being physically active and exercising really does seem to help Bret, not only with focusing, but with his behavior in general. He starts to act out and throw tantrums when he isn't getting enough of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment