Friday, June 5, 2015

Best Chili



When you have a really busy hectic day crock pot meals are the easiest choice to go with. For the most part you can just throw everything in the crock and put it on low, and you are good to go. For us, if I know I am going to busy around 5 (when I usually start cooking dinner), I just go ahead and toss stuff in the crock pot that morning so I don't need to worry about not having that 5-6 o'clock hour to be in the kitchen.

Chili is one of our favorites. The recipe I use has been adapted over time to the one I am about to share with you, and we all LOVE it (aside from Bret not wanting to eat the beans). It's one I always know everyone will be glad to eat.

What you need: 
1 lb ground beef (you could also use turkey)
2 cans kidney beans (either dark red or light red or both)
1 can corn
2 cans green chilies (I used canned because fresh is outrageous expensive here)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
Chili seasoning (I use half a pack of hot and half a pack of mild)

For us, we almost always have things on hand. Sometimes I have 2 cans of dark red kidney beans, sometimes I don't, I just throw whatever we do have in it. That it what I love about this recipe, it's fairly adaptable. Sometimes I have plain diced tomatoes, sometimes I have seasoned, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes I don't have corn, and I just leave that out (but I do feel like it adds to the flavor, it's not a necessity). One day I just decided to toss in some green chilies, and I now I never make it without them because it made it much better.

Start by browning your meat and draining it. Place it in the crock pot. Drain tomatoes and corn and toss it in crock pot. I like to drain and rinse the beans, then they get tossed right in there too. I don't drain the green chilies, I just toss them in. Pour in tomato sauce. Sprinkle half a pack of hot chili seasoning and half a pack of mild seasoning in and stir (you could also just make your own chili seasoning, but I am lazy and we really like the mix of hot and mild). 

Cook on low 4-6 hours. That easy. We always add cheese and sour cream on top, and sometimes crush up some Fritos.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment