Monday, June 8, 2015

When they become their own people.



I had every intention of sharing a recipe today, but the day went a different way. Today as I watched the kids play and interact I was thinking about how much I love watching them grow into their own people (even at only 4 and 3) and noticing the ways in which they are similar and the ways in which they are different.

I remember when Bret was a baby, constantly comparing every mile stone to Sophie (even though they say not to, it's a bit hard), and sometimes wondering why he wasn't meeting them at that same age range as Sophie did. Now I embrace those differences though. Bret still meets milestones much later than his sister, but I know there is nothing wrong that, he just marches to the beat of his own drum and does things at his own pace.


I love both of the little people they have become (well, except for when Bret is yelling at me and Sophie is giving me sass). Sophie at 4 is the most inquisitive child I have ever met (the sheer number of questions this kid can ask is overwhelming), she is a social butterfly and wants to be friends with anyone and everyone. She really seems to have no fear, she just jumps right into everything, she is also very sensitive (which can also be overwhelming at times). She is stubborn (like a mule), and has a tendency to become the leader of the group, even if she is the youngest. She is girly and not girly all at the same time.

Bret on the other hand is quite shy, he doesn't jump into anything without holding mommy's hand. He can be very anti-social, he usually only plays with or talks to kids/adults he knows. He is not a leader at all, he is way more content to just play off by himself than to be in the group. He is all boy, loves to be noisy and dirty.  He gets frustrated easily and has many meltdowns when he can't get things right (also very overwhelming), but it also the sweetest boy ever. He has a short attention span and has problems sitting still (unless of course we are cuddling and he gets to play with my hair). He is just as stubborn as his sister (a trait they both got from me), and he can also be very inquisitive, just not as much so as his sister. He actually tends to be more nurturing than his sister, he likes to sing to babies, and he loved rocking his dolls and kissing them, and changing their diapers. 


Watching these 2 become the little people become the little people they are has been one of the greatest joys in my life, and I love that I still have so much more of that to come. I am so thankful for these 2 goof balls and love that one day I will get to see the adults they become.

No comments:

Post a Comment