Sunday, May 31, 2015

Drawing challenge




Last week I saw a pin about a daily drawing challenge. Here is the link to where I found the post https://beinghappybuildingfamily.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/homeschool-art-and-getting-the-creative-juices-flowing/. I thought it seemed geared towards either adults or much older children, but I really liked the idea of have a drawing challenge for the kids (granted, we haven't done one every single day, but every day that we do learning things I have them do a drawing challenge). I decided to just come up with my own (still using some of the examples on that post) that would be more age appropriate for my children (ages 3 and 4).

We have only done a few days so far, but the kids enjoy it (Bret just kind of doodles, but I have been really impressed with Sophie's drawings so far). They have had a ton of fun doing this and I feel like it helps them be more creative. Sophie usually tells me she can't draw things because she doesn't know how and wants me to draw everything for her, but doing this she hasn't asked me to do it for her yet. She did ask me how to draw a pony for her favorite animal, but instead of showing her, I just told her. I told her she needed to draw the body first, then the head, the the legs. She did really well for a 4 year old (at least I think so). 
Bret still has a long way to go, but in his picture of Daddy, I can somewhat see a person. Not sure if he meant to do it or not, but I can see a person in there. I am awful at drawing and art and everything like that, so I figure if I do this with them enough maybe they will at least like doing things like drawing and using their imaginations to create some art (unlike me, the only "art" I like is photography). 
(Kind of looks like a stick figure on the right, right? LOL)

Bret's might still be mainly scribbles; he said in this one that he was drawing snakes. Sophie's though, her drawing (and her coloring too) has greatly improved, even in just the last few months. I have been so impressed with her and proud of her drawings and her coloring pages. She is also super excited for me to hang all of her stuff on the fridge. She concentrates so hard on her pictures when I tell her what to draw.








No comments:

Post a Comment