Sunday, May 3, 2015

Kids clothing

So I had totally intended to post about healthy yummy homemade snacks, and share some of those recipes with you today, but after attempting to shop for my daughter, I have changed my mind about my post. Today I'm going to rant about the ridiculously inappropriate clothes for girls.

Sophie will be 5 this year and I have run into this issue many times. Last summer when attempting to buy her a swim suit (I was still insistent on a 1 piece for her) I found so many 4t string bikinis that it wasn't even funny. A STRING BIKINI FOR A 4 YEAR OLD?!?!? Who in their right mind would put a 4 year old in something like that?!?!? I didn't want to put her in a 2 piece at all (until I found a nice tasteful one at Target, and after realizing that a 1 piece made it much harder for her to go potty on her own, she ended up with a tankini that fully covered her).  At 2 years old I saw sweatpants material shorts that barely had 2 inches of material to cover her butt. Now it's "shorty shorts"?!?!? These shorts were so short, that I don't even think I wore shorts that short when I was 18-19 years old, and now they are telling me to put this on my preschooler? I'm not even joking these shorts would barely have covered her butt, if at all. There was almost nothing appropriate shorts wise for her size and I left angry at what they are trying to get us to buy for our little girls, and a little disgusted. I was shopping in the 4-7 year old section and there were midriff baring tops, itty bitty bikinis (tiny little triangle tops), and these shorts barely long enough to cover anything. What has society come to, that this is considered an acceptable way to dress young girls? What happened to normal length shorts? If I had worn that pair of shorts to school, my mom would have been called to bring me a change of clothes! On my FB rant, another friend of mine said shopping in the baby section (yes BABY section) the only thing she could find was spaghetti strap tops (another thing we would never have been allowed to wear at school), yet it is acceptable to put on a 1 year old? I have seen shirts with more inappropriate quotes than I care to count (this can go for boys as well, I saw a shirt that said "My mom is b****" for a baby boy). I have seen shorts with "juicy" on the butt for little girls.

 WHY?!?!? Clearly people are buying this garbage, or they wouldn't keep making it.
What happened to mid thigh length shorts for little kids? It seems the only way I can find summer clothing that will cover her, is if I buy a million pairs of capris, but it gets super hot and humid here, and shorts are a must. I just want shorts of an appropriate length. Thankfully, I have Japanese options, because for the most part their options for little kids are fairly modest (at least compared the US's options). I mean come on BabiesRUS is selling the Kardashian's clothing line, geared at 0-24 months. The line includes a leather mini skirt. Thankfully, it looks like they at least pulled that item. I know I sure as crap won't be dressing my little girl like a Kardashian!! They sell things like "monster high outfits" for young girls. Sorry but the characters in that show wear super tight/super short clothing and it is 100% not appropriate for little girls.

Maybe I am just a crazy overprotective mom, but my daughter will not be wearing anything like that as long she lives in my house. Why is it so hard to find cute clothes that actually cover her and are appropriate for her age? Don't get me wrong, I am all for cute/stylish outfits for the kids, but that are age appropriate. I love cute sayings on tees, like the one of my son above, but curse words and sexual things should not be put on children's clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment