Saturday, March 14, 2015

15 minute DIY box spring cover.

I don't know about you, but I HATE bed skirts. They are a pain in the butt, when you wash bedding, you need to take the mattress off to get the bed skirt back on, and it moves and gets messed up the second the mattress moves on top it. My daughter has a full sized bed, but is not old enough to fix it herself, so I was sick of her bed skirt. I had seen some tutorials on Pinterest for do it yourself box spring covers. I had intended to hem one end and have it hang down like a regular bed skirt, but my sewing machine and I had a minor disagreement. So I know have a DIY no sew box spring cover that will take you about 15 minutes to do. First, you will need to measure your box spring. Sophie's bed is a queen and I ended up needing about 5 yards of fabric (since we live in Japan I had to buy in meters, but it was about 5 yards total).

Supplies:
staple gun and staples
fabric (the amount of yards you would need to cover the box spring plus a little extra, ours was 5 yards)
fabric scissors
iron

First I cut the fabric into the 4 strips I would need to cover it. I also cut 4 corner pieces, I didn't measure these. They don't need to be perfect, just enough to cover the corners. Next I ironed all the pieces to remove wrinkles. Now it's time to staple. I did the corner pieces first, staple each side to the box spring, top and bottom. For the sides, I folded each end over at the corner because I felt it looked a little better. Just remember to staple both sides if you don't hem the bottom. With cutting and stapling it took me about 15 minutes, it may have been faster if my husband had been able to hold the box spring while I stapled but he had just had surgery, so I was on my own.

Here is the finished look:
And what it looks like with the mattress on top:
I love it so much, I might do the same to our box spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment