Thursday, March 26, 2015

Blanket Ladder

The most important thing you need to build an awesome blanket ladder is an awesome husband (unless you are super awesome with power tools, which I am not). Fortunately, I have an awesome husband who is super handy and good with power tools. In full disclosure, my husband did all the work on this one, I just told him what I wanted, the dimensions, and where I wanted it in the house. Other things you will need (aside from the awesome husband):
pallet (you will need to take it apart)
hammer (to remove nails from pallet)
sand paper (we used 40 grit)
wood stain (unless you want to keep it the original color)
wood glue
screws
clamps

The first thing we did was take the pallet apart and decide which parts we wanted to use. We used 2 of the longer, thicker 2x4's for the sides, and 4 planks for the ladder rungs. Next we cut them, we made it 23 inches wide so we cut the planks 23 inches (when I say "we" I mean he). We didn't cut much off the 2x4's, just cut them at a slant.
After cutting, we sanded them really well (this part I helped with). Pallet wood tends to have a lot of splinters so we sanded it really well with 40 grit sand paper and made sure we got every thing off. There were some holes from where we removed the nails. My husband learned a trick from a friend for filling holes in wood. He mixed a little bit of wood glue with the saw dust and made a thick paste and filled the holes with that. When it dries it dries pretty much the same color as the wood. It worked really well.
After sanding we stained it. Usually we use 2-3 coats of stain, but I really liked how it looked with just 1 coat (the stain we use is walnut). The top 2 rungs he put a small 2x4 behind and screwed that into the frame, then used wood glue to attach the rung (he did this for support on the top rung and bottom rung, and it worked amazingly). The middle 2 rungs have just a smaller block of wood behind them. The block of wood is glued to the frame, and the rung is glued to the blocks. We did the rungs at a slant because we liked the way it looked.
I am totally in love with it, and it cleans up our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment