Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring crafts for preschoolers

My kids love crafts, and it is awesome way to keep them quiet when Daddy is on nights and needs to sleep during the day. Since Spring has definitely sprung here, most of these are revolving around that. We did 2 this morning that the kids loved. They were quiet, weren't fighting, and were even being patient (which means that they were awesome). We made some fluffy bunnies and name caterpillars. 
Fluffy Bunnies
You will need:
cotton balls (lots of them)
Elmer's glue (I tried a glue stick at first and it was a major fail)
white/cream construction paper 
crayon (or marker to draw eyes, nose, and mouth)
bunny template (I googled "bunny template" and found the one I liked and blew it up, then just held the paper up to the computer and traced the outline with a pencil).
scissors (to cut your outline)

Once I picked the template and traced it, I cut out 2 of them. I helped the kids draw the eyes, nose, and mouth on the bunnies' faces. I put a dab of glue on each cotton ball, then gave them to the kids to put on the bunny.
It was funny to see how differently they did something so simple. Sophie did all her cotton balls in a perfect line, all right next to each other. Bret did his very randomly and with no set pattern.
Sophie's is the one perfectly covered, Bret's is the one with missing spaces. I set them to the side to dry completely. Once the glue was fully dried I hung them on the fridge.

Name Caterpillars
What you will need:
colored construction paper
scissors
sharpie
crayons
glue stick

I cut out circles in colors I knew the kids would like (purple and pink for Sophie, blue and yellow for Bret, a different color for the head). I had the kids draw faces with crayons on the head circle, then I wrote 1 letter of their name on each other circle with a sharpie. I helped them glue them on, the head first, and then their name spelled out, ending at the head. We went over each letter (a few times) and went over what they spelled. After going over it a few times, I let them decorate the background papers.
They really enjoyed the crafting/learning aspect of this.

They were so excited to show Daddy when he woke up.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment