Tuesday, March 17, 2015

DIY tile coasters

We have cheap ugly coasters, and I decided I was going to do something about it. I decided I was going to make my own. I looked up a few ideas, I thought the scrabble letter ones were kind of cute, and wine cork ones too. In the end I decided to go with tile, easy peasy. I had to order my tiles from Amazon, but most hardware stores sell them for pretty cheap. It didn't take much time to get them done, mostly it was waiting on them to dry. I made 6 with scrapbook paper and I have 4 left that are going to be beer ones, I just need to find some beer labels.

What you will need:
mod podge
tile squares (mine are 4x4)
scrapbook paper of your choosing
sealant (I used a spray sealant that is water resistant)
adhesive felt circles (to keep from scratching tables)


The first step is choosing your paper. I picked out 3 different ones because I wanted a variety. I have a lot left over, but that's ok. I basically made 2 coasters out of each sheet.
These are the ones I chose .

After you have your paper, you can either trace the outline of the tile on the back side (having the paper go all the way to the edge of tile makes it harder to seal) or you can do what I did and just measure and make it just a little shorter. I measured at 3.5 inches instead of 4, then cut it out. 
Once you have your scrapbook paper cut, apply thin layer of mod podge to the top of the tile. Quickly place your paper on top of it and get it centered and even. Push out air pockets with old credit card (or anything that will do the trick). Once you have it on there without air bubbles apply a layer of mod podge. Allow it to dry for about 10 minutes, then add one more layer (take it from and be sure to wipe any drips the the sides might look funny). Once the second layer is dry (10-15 minutes) spray it with a coat of sealant. I only did one coat, but I after use I am regretting it, and I will probably be adding another coat. 

Tile before.
After.

Once the sealant is dry  add felt circles to backs to keep them from scratching surfaces of your furniture.  Once I acquire some beer labels my hubby will have some manly ones to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment