Saturday, March 21, 2015

DIY decorative flowers

If you can't fake flowers to match what you are looking for, you can make some yourself and they are super easy!


Things you will need:
coffee filters (or cupcake liners, I used cupcake liners today)
pipe cleaner or floral wire
hot glue
food coloring (if you want to dye your filters)

If you want to dye them, that is the first step. To dye, I put about half a cup of water in a bowl, added the amount of food coloring I wanted and mixed. I let the filters sit in for a few minutes then transferred them to a rack set on top of paper towels for drying. **When I made flowers with coffee filters for my wreath, I put some water and food coloring in spray bottle and spritzed the filters.** Either way works well, one is just easier.

Once your filters are dry, gauge how many you need. Today I was making small flowers so I used 5-6 cupcake liners per flower. ** The flowers on my wreath are made with coffee filters and I used about 8 or 9 for bigger flowers.**

Once you have the amount of filters you will use, you will need to cut different sizes. For the smaller flowers I made today, I used 2 liners at the original size, 2 just a bit smaller (cut a small amount off the edge), and then 2 smaller. For the 2 smallest ones (which serve as the center) I folded them up like so:
Once folded, I snipped at the edges randomly.

One that is done you need to rough the edges up with the sharp edge of a scissor to give them some texture.
*These pink ones aren't dyed, I just had pink cupcake liners on hand.

Starting with the 2 larger liners, put a drop of hot glue in the middle, then add the second on top. Fold them a up a little. Add a drop of hot glue to the top and add the next size liner, repeat until you get to the 2 smallest. Fold the 2 smaller ones together like the picture and twist the bottom. Add a drop of hot glue to the middle and add it to the rest. Fold and scrunch it up a bit. Put a drop of hot glue on a pipe cleaner, or floral wire and press flower to it. The look I was going for was daffodils.
I'm not quite done, I am still waiting on my blue ones to dry to make that flower. This is going to serve as the center piece in our table for Easter.

Here is what my other flowers look like:




No comments:

Post a Comment