Monday, April 13, 2015

5 of the awesome things about Japan

Here are my 5 awesome things about Japan. These are just things that are awesome about Japan in general, I may do a post later on about best things to see and do in Japan.


1. Vending Machines!! They are everywhere and they have them for everything! Seriously, no joke. In some areas in Japan (mostly densely populated areas) you can find some interesting things in vending machines. They have them for flowers, ties, batteries, really almost anything you can think of. In Japan vending machines aren't just for food and drinks. What I find awesome is that the drink vending machines have hot and cold drinks! Seriously, you can get a hot can of coffee from the vending machine (just be careful, the cans are REALLY hot). My favorite is hot milk tea, seriously, Japan has made me a Royal Milk Tea addict, and I didn't even know it existed before moving here! I have even gotten an ice cream cone from a vending machine (heaven right?)!! Another awesome thing about vending machines here is the creativity. Yes, vending machines rock!




2. Authentic Ramen. I thought I liked ramen before moving to Japan, but I was fooled, I will never eat Top Ramen again!!! I could eat Ramen every day (if I was made of money). Personally my favorite is miso ramen, but I will eat most ramen. Everything about it is delicious (aside from the seaweed, which is about the only thing I don't eat from it. The best part is most places that I have been to a bowl of ramen is between 800-1000 yen (which is between about 7-9 American). The bowls are usually huge and I rarely am able to finish and entire bowl, but it is so yummy!! If you ever have the chance to try real ramen, I highly suggest it.






3. Konbinis (convenient stores). You can pretty much find a Konbini on every corner.  The popular ones are 7-11, Lawsons, and Family Mart. Trust me they are nothing like convenient stores in America. The food is delicious. Every time I walk by one I get something. They have everything! The first time my husband told me he ate dinner from 7-11 I thought he was insane, but then he took me there and I ate those words, because the chicken curry was delicious, and the gyoza is amazing sauce!! It's a good thing I can't read Kanji, so I have no idea what fattiness I am putting in my body whenever I eat from there.



That is just a small sampling of food you can find at a Konbini, and that is Bret enjoying some mochi from the Konbini. You can also get some good alcohol from there Chu-hi's are the bomb, added bonus, no open container laws. If you are just out walking around in Tokyo, feel free to grab a Chu-hi from the Konbini to enjoy.
4. Theme Restaurants. There are many theme restaurants in Japan. I have only been to Alice (Alice in Wonderland theme) but there are so many.  Ninja themed restaurants, samurai themed restaurants, and sumo themed ones are just a few. There also many cafes of this sort, Robot Cafe, Vampire Cafe, ghost themes. There is even a prison hospital themed restaurant. There are also animal cafes. There are cat cafes, where you can eat and hang with cats, and an owl cafe where you can eat and hang with owls. While these places offer a fun experience (and we intend to experience a few more before we leave next year) they are pricey. It is more about the experience.




5. The last thing on my list is politeness. I am not looking forward to going to back to the rudeness of America. Young people always get up on the train to let an elderly person, or pregnant woman sit down. The Japanese are always more than willing to help, even if there is a language barrier. When my husband and I got lost looking for the line we were supposed to change over to, an elderly woman who spoke almost no English went out of her way to show us where we needed to go, and that is the norm here. I have seen videos of Japanese passengers pushing a train to help someone that fell on the tracks, if you accidentally forget your change the cashier will chase you down to give it to you, even if it is only a few yen. It is a way different culture and mindset and I love it. If a place isn't stroller friendly I can leave my stroller with diaper bag and everything in it and not worry about anything being taken or stolen.

Honestly, Japan has been an awesome experience and there a lot of things I will miss about Japan when we leave. #Japan




1 comment:

  1. You should share this on Google plus travel community!!! I bet people would love to read bout your adventures!

    ReplyDelete