Friday, April 3, 2015

Painted canvas wall art

So, I have been working on some wall art for Sophie's room for a while. It's taking me a long time because I am just doing too many things at once. I'm not finished just yet, but I'm finished enough to share it with you. I just ran out of paint, so my last canvas will need to wait until I can make another run to the craft store. I wanted to spruce up her room a bit, but I didn't feel like painting it since we are moving next year. I figured this was a good way to accomplish that. I picked 3 quotes that I like, 2 are from books, 1 is a quote by Walt Disney. I got the idea for the Walt Disney quote from here http://becauseicancrafts.blogspot.jp/2011/04/disney-crafts.html
This is what her's looked like, I took that quote but did it very differently.  The other quotes I used were "Oh, the place you'll go" from Dr.Seuss and "I am your goodnight kiss, you are my I love you" from one of their books. I bought some vinyl letters, but honestly I wasn't that impressed with them, and if I do another craft like this I will be getting something different. I ordered them from Amazon.
Sorry, I took the picture after using them so they are all painted up. I grabbed some foam brushes (I freaking love foam brushes and they are like $.80). I stocked up the last time I went to the craft store because I love them so much. I grab them in 2 sizes.
I got paint in colors that match her room (lavender and eggplant). Here is the brand I really like.
For the letter placing, I lined up a rule then placed the letters evenly above it. Once placed, I painted over the canvas and letters with the paint. (It took 3-4 coats.) Note, these aren't prefect but I still like them and they will go on the wall in her room.
This one is the most messed up, while painting some of the vinyl letters moved, which caused a large problem for me, but I fixed it as best I could with a tiny paint brush and white paint.
For the last one I decided to do something a little different. I painted the entire canvas grey (I couldn't find grey, so I mixed a black and white together). It turned out a bit darker than intended because I ran out of white, but I think it will still look nice.
After that, I placed the letters. For this one I did ombre. The top is the lighter purple, the bottom is the darker, and the middle is a mix of both.
It doesn't look great because the letters are still on (and I ran out of n,e,and y, so I need to move them from the top to finish) and I ran out of the eggplant paint. I will be making a run to the store tomorrow for it so I can finish it up and hang them on her wall.







No comments:

Post a Comment