Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Cleaning make up brushes and sponges

Did you know you can clean your make up brushes without buying brush cleanser? Yup, and you can even reuse make up sponges. WHAT?!? I didn't know this for the longest time until I randomly decided to just clean one and it was good as new. All you need is a glass, a sink, and some mild soap (I use Softsoap brand hand soap). For my brushes, I rinse them in warm water first to get as much make up off as I can. Then I put a few squirts of soap in a glass and fill it a little less than half way with warm water (don't put too much or it will get everywhere, since you will be swishing the brushes around in it). I swish each brush around it a few times (I change the water out after every couple of brushes, because it gets nasty fast). I usually do that 2 times through, then I rinse them one more time. After that I fill the cup half way with soap and water again and put 3-4 brushes in at once and let them sit for a few minutes. Once they have sit in it for 3 or 4 minutes I swish them all one last time, then rinse them really well (make sure you get all the soap out). Then I put them on a towel over night to dry. This works really well and gets all the gunk out of them, really you should clean them every few months, but I always forget so I clean mine like every 6 months.
^ This is the water after they have already had 2 runs through, still pretty nasty.
For sponges, I put a small squirt of soap on each side and rub it in really well (you will see it start working right away). After you have rubbed it all in and feel like the sponge is clean, rinse really well and squeeze all the soap out. Then let dry over night. It's really that easy. Here is a before and after picture of one of my sponges.

Yes, that is the same sponge. Amazing, isn't it? No need to always buy new ones. I usually wash them out a few times before tossing them. Altogether it takes me about 15-20 minutes to wash all my sponges and brushes, but it is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment