Thursday, April 30, 2015

No more mom labels






Today I read a post on another blog site that SUPER annoyed me. I read posts and said blog often (not going to call anyone out here) and I usually really enjoy them. I usually agree with them, find them funny, etc., not today though. This particular post was complaining about "helicopter moms", it talked about how judgmental they are, how they ruin park time for everyone (kids and parents), and so and so on.

The problem I had with this is that while this post was complaining about this "subgroup" of moms being very judgmental, the post was extremely judgmental in tone, so in theory you are just bad as the person you are complaining about.

Why do we even have these labels? Mainly, they are just to lump everyone into a category for us to judge. Helicopter mom, Tiger mom, attachment mom, Free-range mom, Panda mom. Why can't we all just be moms? Especially since there is a lot of grey area on this. Sometimes I act like the "helicopter mom" and hover (especially with Bret, because he always gets himself in crazy situations), sometimes I am more like the "free-range" let them explore on their own type. Sometimes I let my kids have cookies and juice, other times I make them snack on water and carrots. It doesn't really matter.

The only time I will judge you at the park is if you straight up don't pay a lick of attention to your kid (especially if your kid is causing issues), or if you are totally neglecting your kid. I don't use labels to describe my parenting, or other people's parenting (unless it is to say they aren't being a parent). The labels being their just causes us to be more judgmental.

Hey, if you want to play with my kid while I sit in the shade, or help my kid do something that I don't care to help him with, more power to ya. I'm not going to get all pissy and bent out of shape about it. I'm not going to mentally give you the finger for it, and I hope you don't mentally give me the finger for enjoying a little bit of downtime while my kids play.

No comments:

Post a Comment