Sunday, April 26, 2015

Schedules/routines for toddlers

The kids and I used to have a very set routine (when I worked it was even more strict), but lately we have completely gotten off of our routine. I have been very tired/exhausted lately and the kids have been extra whiny/irritable lately so tonight I am making a routine (flexible not rigid) for us to stick to on a daily basis. I am hoping Sophie will get into preschool on base for the coming school year (and if she doesn't we will most likely enroll her off base), so I want to get her into the routine of waking up and getting ready at the same time throughout the week, so that when August comes she isn't thrown through a loop. I have also noticed that Bret tends to do much better behavior wise when he has a routine (we are keeping it flexible so that things like errands or daddy's shift change won't completely throw it off balance). I'm going to leave room for adjustment, if needed. Here is what our daily routine looks like for weekdays (weekends are kind of up in the air, it really depends on what is going on and if daddy is off that weekend or not).


As you can see I set aside about 2.5 hours each day for learning and that I split it up. I did this because I attempted to do at home preschool with the kids last year and I learned very quickly that Bret is unable to stay focused for a long period of time and that made everything more difficult and both of us became frustrated very quickly. I also am going to do something different this time around in that I am not making learning time completely structured and planning what we do for each day way in advance, because sometimes days just don't go as we planned and they take a different turn, and that's OK. I will either plan the night before what we do for the next day, or wake up in the morning and decide what to work on while eating breakfast. That way if it is a nice day we can do outside activities or if it is crummy/rainy we can plan for indoor activities. I find the different learning activities we do all over. Here are some great resources for learning activities http://livingmontessorinow.com, http://www.makingtimeformommy.com/, and http://www.readingconfetti.com. If you look at my Mom Stuff board on Pinterest, I have a ton of activities/lessons pinned from these sites. We also have ABC Mouse, and the kids have leappads, we have each of them set to their level with lots of games and songs for learning on them. Sophie's is set to Pre-K and Bret's is set to early preschool. We also do lots of activity bins and sensory play (those keep Bret's attention the best). I'm also hoping that we can add in some learning trips to some of the museums around here (there are so many...the train museum, trick art museum, national museum and so many more), and also hit up some of the local zoos. We have been to 2 but there are a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment