Monday, September 21, 2015

Chipotle pork burrito bowls

Crock pot meals...who doesn't love them?!? If you say you don't, you must crazy, or maybe you are just single and have no need for crock pot meals. I LOVE them because for the most part, you just toss everything in and leave it. Great for moms who are sleep deprived, or moms who just have a crazy hectic life and are always out and about. I really don't know what I would do without my crock pot (and I haven't even been able to utilize the best feature yet because of the hertz difference here-it's the timed feature. I can set it to turn off or turn to warm after a certain number of hours, how awesome is that!? So if my meal only needs to cook for 6 hours, but I'm not home right at the 6 hour mark, I don't need to worry about it over cooking!!!). I get to test that feature out soon enough though, 6 months and counting!!

Today I tried a new meal: chipotle pork burrito bowls. Super easy recipe, and yummy! You just throw a 3-4 lb pork lion roast in the crock pot with 1/2 cup of chipotle bbq sauce, and 8 oz of tomato sauce and leave it for 8 hours on low (only 3-4 hours if on high). I made my own chipotle bbq sauce using Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, some seasonings, and a can of green chilis (I would have used other chilis if they didn't cost so dang much here). I didn't really measure out the seasonings, it is basically by preference (you can always taste test and add more if needed, or more bbq if it's too much). I used a pinch of chili powder, cayenne pepper, a pinch of salt, ancho chile powder, and adobo seasoning, mixed it, and added a small can of green chilis.

Once the pork is done cooking shred it, and serve or cilantro lime rice (or any rice you prefer) with your choice of toppings. We used homemade guacamole, sour cream, cheese. You could use pico de gallo or taco sauce as well.

**Disclaimer, next time I will add more spice. It didn't have the kick I was looking for today. Tastes great, just not enough spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment