Friday, September 4, 2015

DIY cake

I found a really awesome tutorial for putting images on cakes a while back and decided I wanted to do that for Sophie's birthday. I am going to be making her a Twilight Sparkle cake, but I wanted to test it out first to make sure it would actually work (as most of us know sometimes Pinterest tutorials don't always work out as promised). 

Today was the perfect opportunity to test it out. We are having a BBQ to celebrate my husband getting promoted. So, I figured, make him a staff sergeant cake! 

To start out; I usually use a box cake because it saves time and effort for me. To make a box cake taste a little better though, all you really need is a few things. To make a box cake taste homemade you will need: 1 box cake mix, 3 whole eggs, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, and a dash of salt. **Note: use cake flour if you can.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together and add half of the dry mix. Mix well, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Beat well, about 3 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 and grease pans. Bake at 300 for 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cakes, I used 2 8inch round cake pans and baked for 20 minutes). Then turn heat up to 325 and bake for an equal amount of time. **These cakes are delicious!


I used to have issues with my cake crumbling when frosting it (even after letting it cool completely). This time around I put the cake in the fridge overnight before crumb -coating it, and it make all the difference. I crumb-coated, then place back in the fridge. After it hardened, I finished frosting it and placed back in the fridge. This is the link for the tutorial for transferring an image, Image Transfer. I made my image while waiting for the crumb coat to harden and then placed in the freezer. The image for this cake was very simple.

The frosting is a homemade buttercream frosting that is very simple to make. 4.5 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter, 1.5 tsp vanilla, 5-6 tbsp milk. Beat butter until creamy, add milk, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. (The blue frosting was a store bought tube because I didn't have food coloring, but it still worked well.)


**This is probably the first cake I have made that I am 100% proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment