Friday, September 25, 2015

Diying farbic

Don't you hate when you are looking for a specific item and can't find it anywhere? I do!! I looked for a plain light purple shirt for 2 months before giving up. Everything I found was either the wrong shade of purple, or had a graphic on it. I was getting fed up and annoyed. I needed a plain light purple shirt (with no logos or graphics on it) for my daughter's Halloween costume and was beginning to think I would NEVER find what I was looking for.
Then yesterday when I was grabbing a long sleeve shirt for my son out of his closet (first time pulling them out since last winter), I saw a plain white long sleeved shirt that was in a bag of clothes given to me by a friend. It was about the right size for her, so today I tried it on her, and it would work! Woop woop! Now I just needed to dye it. I use RIT dye (I have dyed a few things in the past, so I have a few colors on hand). They are about $5 per bottle, and last forever because you really don't need much. You can use just one color or you can mix them to create another color. RIT even has a color mixing guide on their website. I am experimenting since I don't have the exact colors they used to get the color I want, but before buying 2 more bottles, I figured I would give it a try (you can always dye again if your item doesn't turn out the way you want). The guide said to use purple and denim blue, I am attempting with wine and evening blue. It only takes about 1/8 tsp of dye per quart of water.

To dye:
Liquid or powder dye (RIT comes in both forms)
fabric to dye (t-shirts, onesies, receiving blankets)
bucket or large bowl
mixing spoon you don't care about (will get dyed)
hot water

Fill bucket or bowl with hot water (as hot as your tap will get). You need enough water to be able to submerge your items (you can dye more than 1 at a time). Measure out your dye and place in water, and mix with spoon. Thoroughly wet your fabric before submerging (helps it absorb dye). Submerge items and swirl around to evenly coat. Dye an hour (or more for brighter result), mixing and swirling every 10-15 minutes. Mixing it makes sure it dyes evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment