Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Simple at home lesson plan

My last post was about wanting to start working with Bret one-on-one once his sister starts school next week. I've started working on a fairly simple (nothing too detailed) lesson plan to follow starting that next week (since she starts school on a Thursday), and we are going to need to get used to getting up and ready for the day much earlier than we currently do.

I want to somewhat get him on the new schedule before actually starting with jumping into at home learning. He doesn't really do well with change so I am sure the first few weeks are going to be a challenge. He normally wakes up between 7:30-8 and doesn't want to do anything until after 9. We will need to be at the bus stop at 7:30, which means leaving our house by 7:15 (fully dressed and ready). I also wanted to keep the lesson plan fairly simple so that if something comes up, it's not a huge deal. Both myself and my husband will be volunteering at the school on his days off, so it needs to be something that both of us can do with him (if it falls on a day where I'm at the school and Daddy is home with him). 

I didn't want it too detailed because I learned from experience that if you try to plan every second down the T, things usually don't work out the way you want. One the things you will see for every day is the letter of the day. We learned with Sophie (who had a very hard time learning her letters) that focusing on one letter each day, and just doing a quick review of the others is much more helpful. You will also see things like yoga, "movement", and sports in there; that goes back to the article I referenced the other day about physical activity helping with cognition. There are also life skills in there for him to work on. I also repeat a lot of the things instead of doing something brand new each time, that way it really sticks. I also have things like deep breathing in there, that is for teaching him how to calm himself down.

I decided to just focus on 4 things a day, that way I'm asking him to focus for an extended amount of time. I know that expecting him to focus for 1-2 hours at a time is just setting myself up for failure. Also why I add a lot of physical activity and things like music in there; because I know those are things he really enjoys, and I can use that to help him learn. You will also see one week I don't have Monday on there; that is a day that Sophie doesn't have school, and I figured we would do something all together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment