Wednesday, September 30, 2015

DIY my little pony costume

After much deliberating and flip-flopping between ideas, my daughter finally decided on princess Twilight Sparkle for Halloween this year. It was touch and go for awhile, she kept flip-flopping between Twilight Sparkle, Black Widow, and Maleficent. (Honestly, Black Widow would have been the easiest out of the choices, maybe she will still want to be that next year.) She did make up her mind to go with Twilight Sparkle this year. She told me she will be Black Widow next year and Maleficent the year after that.

I like the feeling of making her costumes by myself (even though I am not really that great at sewing), and to be honest all of the my little pony costumes I saw online were awful. So after searching on Pinterest a bit, I came up with the perfect costume. While I am going to give you the details specifically for Twilight, the general idea for this costume would work for any of the ponies. You would just have to change up the colors and some of the details.

Things you will need:
Wig (in the hair color for the pony you want)
leggings/t shirt (in the color for your pony-if you need to dye it, see my dying fabric tutorial)
tutu-in the color hair for your pony
3 foam sheets-if your pony has wings
2 felt sheets-if your pony isn't a unicorn you will only 1.
headband
hot glue

I found a My Little Pony wig on amazon for $13 (which is actually really cheap, and it's an adjustable kid sized wig). For the tail I am using a my little pony hair extension that someone sent for Sophie a long time ago (her hair is to fine to actually use it). I ordered light purple leggings on Amazon for $6 (I love amazon), and had a plain white t-shirt in her size to dye to match the leggings.

For the wings, I got 2 pieces of a darker purple foam and 1 sheet light purple foam. I free handed a wing design on the dark purple and cut it out. I free handed a smaller wing design on the light purple, then an even smaller one on the last dark purple sheet. I glue those altogether like so. Then hot glue them to the back of the shirt (I haven't done this yet because I ran out of hot glue...a travesty really).

For the headband I made 2 ear templates on a piece of paper and cut out 4 (hot glue 2 together for 1 ear). Then to be fancy I cut out a smaller ear template on glitter foam and hot glued it to the ears. For the horn I used this tutorial Unicorn headband. I ended up making it much smaller though. After gluing it to the headband the first time, I realized it was huge, so I cut about half of it off and redid it

Princess Twilight Sparkle also has a crown (she is only one other than Princess Celestia and Princess Luna that does). I used gold glitter foam and found a crown template that I liked to cut it out (I actually think it was an Elsa crown template, but it works just as well). I cut out some small diamond shapes out of the other glitter foam and glued them on, and cut a diamond out of magenta sparkle scrapbook paper I had on hand for the main gem.

The skirt I made because I felt like the costume was a little bit plain. As my daughter lovingly pointed out "Twilight doesn't wear a skirt!!". I made the skirt out of the colors of her hair and I feel like it really adds to the costume. Then I attached a cutie mark to the side for the finishing touch.
**Will post pictures when she wears it.

No comments:

Post a Comment